Why Now Is the Time to Buy Lake Keowee Real Estate
The Benefits of Life on Lake Keowee Real Estate
The beautiful scenic area of Lake Keowee, first settled by the Cherokee Indians and called Keowee Town, now offers the second largest real estate market for lake homes and properties in the state of South Carolina. There are currently nearly 300 lakeside homes for sale and more than 825 lots and larger land listings on the active market for Lake Keowee real estate. With a median list price or around $705,000, these stylish yet practical home designs offer luxurious lake living at a reasonable price point.
This charming venue provides all the swimming, boating and other recreational water activities of a mid-sized lake. With 300 miles of attractive shoreline, this locale offers a pleasing variety of beautifully designed and built homes on appealing property with glorious views. Now is definitely an ideal time to buy Lake Keowee real estate.
The nearest sizable airport is the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, which is just 52 miles away from this inviting lakeside community, and Oconee County Regional Airport is just 12 miles away. Lake Keowee stretches across over 18,370 acres of Northwest South Carolina and has shoreline in both Oconee and Pickens counties. Less than a twenty-minute drive away is the very active college town of Clemson, SC, with a population of nearly 14,000.
In 1973, Lake Keowee was established to meet the needs of Duke Energy’s hydroelectric power production and as a public recreation area. The lake is supplied with water from both the Keowee and Little Rivers. Both rivers have greater flows than their dams can contain, and both serve as tributaries of the Savannah River.
Ideal Locale for Camping, Boating, and Fishing
As a beautiful lake location in the foothills of the splendid Blue Ridge Mountains, Lake Keowee has an average temperature of 72 degrees or more during seven months of the year. This enables owners of Lake Keowee real estate to enjoy camping, boating, and fishing, with full use and pleasures of the crystalline clear, refreshing mountain water of the lake during spring, summer and autumn months. This picturesque region also includes two state parks and multiple golf courses. This lake is known as a great place to fish for bass, including the varieties of small-mouth, large-mouth and spotted. The lake also offers a plentiful supply of rainbow trout, brown trout, bluegill, catfish, yellow perch and crappie.
An attractive variety of camping choices are also available around Lake Keowee, such as Toxaway State Park offering both RV and basic camping. Guests can also rent cabins right near the shores of the lake and enjoy all the delights of lakeside living. This lovely and versatile lakeside locale also offers one of the best boating locations in the state. There are nine separate boat ramps in the area to accommodate all boating enthusiasts visiting the community. The lake’s unique layout has an “evergreen tree” shape, providing many fingers, coves and inlets. Its largest expanses of clear, open water are as much as three miles in width.
Both motorized boats and jet skis are allowed on Lake Keowee. However, boating is not permitted between sunset and sunrise, and boaters must obtain a permit for dock use. This lake is known for its pure, clear water and its boating safety measures.
Highly Appealing Beauty and Atmosphere of Lake Keowee Subdivisions
The attractive subdivisions of the Lake Keowee community offer a healthy, relaxing and scenic lifestyle and include the following Lake Keowee real estate venues:
- Backwater Landing: This charming subdivision of Lake Keowee is known for its fresh mountain air. It is also noted for its quiet, peaceful atmosphere, broken only by the gentle sounds of the lake water teasing against the shoreline or the gentle songs of early morning birds. In the midst of this restful cove, hardwood forest canopies create a cool, refreshing breeze during both daytime and night hours. The mild winter weather and moderate rainfall throughout the year offer the ideal location for outdoor activities on and around the lake. This area’s year-round living has the pleasant, naturally stylish and healthy ambiance of a waterside resort.
- Barron Henderson Estates: The lakefront subdivision of Barron Henderson Estates offers a simple, basic and health-enhancing living style. Although it lacks the many amenities and extra conveniences that are available in other Lake Keowee real estate subdivisions, it is in close proximity to Seneca and near South Cove County Park with countless exciting recreational options. The estates are composed of 11 separate properties, and six of these are waterfront land.
There is currently a home located on every lot, and your realty agent can keep you informed about any current vacancies among these coveted properties. Since this is one of the older communities of the area, there is a single road for access. However, this fact adds to its scenic charm and quiet, restful atmosphere for peaceful living.
- Bass Cove: The waterfront community of Bass Cove is a legitimate Lake Keowee subdivision. However, because of the location of a road bridge, there is no direct roadway access to the other living communities of Lake Keowee. As an attractive and peaceful area, Bass Cove has much to offer for enjoying a relaxing, healthful lifestyle. It is also nearby to Seneca, which is a larger community and easily accessible. This subdivision of Lake Keowee is an ideal choice for anyone seeking a quiet, serene environment and lifestyle in a lovely, natural setting among available Lake Keowee real estate.
- Bay Ridge: The lakefront living area of Bay Ridge is found at the north end of Lake Keowee just off Scenic Highway 11. This subdivision contains 70 different properties, and 30 of them are highly desirable waterfront properties. The remaining 40 offer a mix of panoramic mountain views and the pleasing sights of the scenic boat slips and docks. Some of these properties are sold with deeded boat slips that are located in the dock and boat launching areas. North Keowee Properties, LLC began developing this charming community during the 1980s.
The Cliffs Communities have been responsible for developing upscale living communities in the Bay Ridge area of Lake Keowee real estate. These elegant yet comfortable communities include The Cliffs at Keowee Falls South, The Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards, The Cliffs at Keowee and The Cliffs at Keowee Falls North. All of these living communities offer amazing luxurious amenities. This area is ideal for anyone seeking an upscale elite lifestyle set in the healthy natural environment of a picturesque lakeside locale with a moderate climate.
- Beacon Shores: This beautifully maintained subdivision of Lake Keowee real estate was first opened for living in 1997. It offers 86 separate lakefront properties, 23 of which have boat slips in the dock area of the community. This area is shaded by tall trees while offering gorgeous views of Lake Keowee. Situated near the southern end of the lake, it is near the Keowee School Road. In close proximity to Seneca, Beacon Shores provides a quiet, restful living environment with all the amenities of a larger community close by.
- Beckland: The very appealing lakefront subdivision of Beckland is found at the originating point of Seneca’s Luther Land Road with available Lake Keowee real estate. It is directly below the center of the Lake Keowee community, within a short drive from Seneca. In Seneca, residents of Beckland can enjoy attractive options for dining, shopping, and entertainment. This area is near the local hospital and its modern tower. There are many state parks within a short driving distance from Beckland, which makes this subdivision especially attractive for families and other residents who enjoy the many pleasures of park recreational facilities.
Styles and Sizes of Home Properties Available in the Lake Keowee Area
Fashionable Homes for Golf Enthusiasts
Four Bedrooms, Four Baths
Sq. Ft. Range: 2750-2999
Type: Single Family Home
Within the Lake Keowee subdivisions, there are ideal and stylish homes for golfing enthusiasts with clubhouse membership. The casual elegance of this type of home design will attract and delight you and your partner or family. Nearby is The Keowee Falls Clubhouse with its panoramic overview of the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course. This home design’s layout includes a large covered porch, a central fireplace, and a spacious, open-concept living space.
The updated kitchen and dining areas are also large and open. Bedrooms are spacious and private with adjoining baths. The highly appealing home exterior features slate roofing with prominent copper accents. Its design also includes cedar shakes timber siding and a natural stone base. Golf club membership includes use of a communal putting green, a covered pavilion with fire pit and clubhouse dining options plus the use of a wellness center with a top-tier gym and pool for ideal living in modern Lake Keowee real estate.
Stylish Home with Vaulted Ceilings and Southern Exposure
Three Bedrooms, Three Baths
Sq. Ft. Range: 3000-3249
Type: Single Family Home
This fabulous home location is within a short walk from the nearby boat slips and offers the glories of southern exposure. Built on nearly two acres of land, this home provides peaceful, private living and a flood of pure, natural light. Its Great Room displays a lofty vaulted timber ceiling in a pleasing hexagonal shape. The back window-walls of the house admit natural light, adding to its sense of interior spaciousness and pure, welcoming atmosphere. The contemporary, updated kitchen with its pass-through counter is opposite the expansive fireplace of the Great Room.
This design keeps food preparations and cooking separate from your living space while including the home chef and helpers in all activities of the lively GR. The dining room gets an abundance of soft natural light from its large windows facing the lawn and garden. In addition, the enticing covered porch and adjoining deck just outside encourage al fresco dining throughout the year. Nearby, your extra-large, 2-car garage offers plenty of storage space on its second level.
Cozy Updated Timber Lake Cottage
3 Bedrooms, 3 Baths
Sq. Ft. Range: 4000-4499
Type: Single Family Home
You will find this style of updated timber-framed lakeside cottage cozy, comfortable and delightful. For anyone interested in a friendly, casual gathering place for family and neighbors, this is the ideal lake home design. Here you and your entire household can enjoy the warmth of the outdoor fireplace beneath the covered roof while listening to the calming sounds of the waterfall nearby. The open-concept layout and vaulted ceiling of the large living space plus the spacious master bedroom with a private deck are major attractions of this house.
The upper loft area offers plenty of space for several bedrooms, an office or a large den. There is also an additional guest room with a bath. The downstairs family or entertainment room is ideal for partying with friends and guests or for use as a gaming room for the kids. This fantastic home property within available Lake Keowee real estate includes more than 550 feet of waterfront, a large waterfall, multiple patio-porches, and spectacular water views.
Custom Built Home Off the Grid
3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths
Sq. Ft. Range: 1500-1749
Type: Single Family Home
If a customized house featuring solar panels and an in-ground pool appeals to you, this home design may be your perfect choice. Offering cost-efficient operation and maintenance, this home is designed for living a simple, lake-country lifestyle. The interior rooms feature a charming breakfast nook, a spacious laundry room, and a large office area. Decor, furnishings, and amenities include an alarm system, ceiling fans, updated kitchen appliances, a fireplace, a garden tub, an indoor jetted tub and a full master suite on the main level with a walk-in closet.
This home is equipped with central electric heating and central forced cooling as backup services for general solar energy use. This contemporary ranch style house has exterior vinyl siding and a driveway, a 2-car garage, front and side porches, and a basement. Although this home is not a lakefront property, it is located on a charming corner lot in a friendly neighborhood setting.
All of these stylish and highly appealing homes are located within a convenient distance to elementary, middle and high schools in Salem, Walhalla and other nearby communities throughout Oconee and Pickens counties.
Why Now is an Excellent Time for Buying Property in Lake Keowee
Due to its breathtaking scenic beauty, its healthy natural lakefront area living and fabulous mild climate, Lake Keowee, SC, was included in Boating Magazine’s list of the “Top 10 Places to Live and Boat” in July 2007, and it has retained its high rating as a leading locale for lakefront property ever since. Reasons why today is an excellent time for buying Lake Keowee real estate include the following:
- The beautiful Lake Keowee area in South Carolina offers scenic boating and an outdoor lifestyle during three seasons of the year due to its mild climate.
- This locale offers reasonably priced homes of varied sizes and types that are attractively designed and well built for long-term living.
- The entire Lake Keowee area and surrounding regions offer safe, healthy living that is ideal for residents of all ages, with good schools available in many area communities that serve all of the Lake Keowee real estate subdivisions.
- Because the mild weather in Lake Keowee allows the use of lake properties during at least three seasons of the year, there is less competition for buying homes in this area in early summer than in many other waterfront locations of the country.
- There are attractive condos available for sale in Lake Keowee as well as houses.
- Notable annual events in this locale include the Annual Charity Golf Classic and other Annual Charitable Foundation events.
- Residents of Lake Keowee can join the ever-active Keowee Sailing Club to enjoy regular lake sailing and special waterfront activities.
Lake Keowee is truly the ideal location for any and all homebuyers who desire a healthy, natural lifestyle in a stylish, comfortable and highly appealing home property within a spectacular and active yet peacefully scenic lakefront locale. To schedule a time to look at what’s available or for more information on the best properties, contact Top Guns Realty today!