Preparing for Summer in Lake Keowee, SC, Real Estate
Look, we know it’s been a tough year. Cooped up in the house all the time doomscrolling until all hours is nobody’s idea of a good time. It makes sense that you’d want to take a vacation this summer — nothing seems quite so intolerable as long as you’ve got sunshine and a good breeze. Plus, with things starting to feel just a little bit more normal, some return to regular summer scheduling is in order. Take some time off, relax, and briefly forget all the stress of the past year. Lake Keowee SC real estate can make all that happen.
The best season at any lake house is the summer. Long days and plenty of s’mores make for a great vacation in your Lake Keowee SC real estate. You might think it’s a bit early for summer plans, but Memorial Day is really right around the corner. If you’re looking to kick off your summer in Lake Keowee SC real estate, there’s no time like the present to get planning.
Here, we’ve compiled some tips on how to best prepare for the season. Whether you’re looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale or simply a vacation rental, we’ve got advice on how to make this summer the best one yet.
Shopping for Lake Keowee SC Real Estate
Most of our tips and tricks here will be focused towards those lucky folks who already own Lake Keowee SC real estate, so we wanted to get the advice for those of you still looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale out of the way first.
There are unique benefits and drawbacks to looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale this time of year (and you can read more of our thoughts on that here). Know that it’s definitely a seller’s market, and it might take some time to find the right Lake Keowee SC real estate for you. There’s no shame in coming back in the fall to survey the Lake Keowee houses for sale in the offseason — you can often get a better deal then.
At the same time, there’s often more limited inventory in the cooler months. Lake Keowee houses for sale in the spring and summer are much more plentiful than in the fall in winter. The flip side to that, of course, is that the sellers are often a lot more motivated to unload their Lake Keowee houses for sale in the offseason. That’s how you can get a better deal. There are a lot of factors at play, and it’s a good idea to contact an expert to walk you through it. There’s a good chance that you’ll find great Lake Keowee houses for sale no matter when you’re looking, but it might be too late to get into the house of your dreams for this summer.
As we’ve said, it’s really never too early to get your summer plans in order. If you’re interested in renting a piece of Lake Keowee SC real estate for your summer vacation, jump on that as soon as you can. The area is very popular, and houses will go quickly.
If you’ve been looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale and haven’t had any luck, renting might be a good option. It’s definitely a seller’s market right now, and most Lake Keowee houses for sale sell very quickly. It might be too late to find the right house to buy for this summer, so it’s not a bad idea to table the hunt for your own Lake Keowee SC real estate until the fall and commit to renting somewhere for your vacation.
What to Look For In Rental Lake Keowee SC Real Estate
So, you’ve decided against Lake Keowee houses for sale and have chosen to go with a rental. Just because it’s a rental doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be picky about it, though. Don’t ease up on your standards. Most things you’d look for in Lake Keowee houses for sale should also be considerations for your rental: Proximity to the lake, what kinds of appliances are included, and amount of outdoor space, for example.
However, there are also criteria unique to rentals. When looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale, you’re not going to ask if you’re expected to bring your own sheets, but that’s something to be aware of when looking at rentals. Know what dishes are included and what you’re expected to bring yourself.
You’ll also want to be sure a rental lake house has all the safety items you’d expect in any accommodation. Does it have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors? Definitely ask. Make sure it has any amenities that would be deal breakers for you not to have: Air conditioning, laundry facilities, reliable Wi-Fi, etc.
If it’s been a while since you last visited your Lake Keowee SC real estate, you might be surprised by the state of affairs when you show up for your summer vacation. All the surrounding Lake Keowee houses for sale will likely be perfectly maintained, but your lake house might have weeds to pull and other things to clean up.
It can be stressful to show up for a relaxing vacation only to find more things that need to be added to your to do list. Prevent that unfortunate turn of events by taking care of the yard work before your vacation. Whether you hire someone to take care of your lawn or you head up to your Lake Keowee SC real estate a weekend before your vacation to get it all done, preventing that headache can work wonders for your vacation.
Of course, this is less of a concern for those of you who live on Lake Keowee year-round. You’ll be more aware of what your yard needs. Even still, cleaning everything up so you can fully enjoy the summer season isn’t a bad idea.
Whatever your situation, there are plenty of gadgets on the market to help you make your property a true oasis. Various models of weed cutters can help you ensure that your shoreline, dock, or other outdoor space is as healthy, pretty, and weed-free as possible.
Before you head out to your Lake Keowee SC real estate for the summer, make sure you’ve got all the essentials. Here’s our quick guide to what you have to bring:
- Safety Items – Some of these might be things you leave at your lake house year-round, but it’s always a good idea to check to make sure you’ve got them. Things like a first aid kit, life vests, and flashlights are absolute must-haves. If you’re not certain you’ve got those things in your lake house, bring them along.
- Clothes – Obviously you’ll want a variety of outfits to wear for your vacation. You’re probably prepared for summer heat, but don’t forget more covered up options, too. Long sleeve tops and long pants are musts for any potential excursions where bugs might be an issue, or just for those cooler nights out on the lake. Do check to see what kind of laundry facilities your Lake Keowee SC real estate has before packing your entire wardrobe, though.
- Outdoor Items – Odds are, you’re going to be spending a lot of time outside of your lake home. You’ll want to prepare for all that outdoor fun. That means packing sunscreen, bug spray, and all the right protective gear. Don’t forget the sunglasses!
And of course, most vacations would benefit from having more than just the bare essentials. Here are some items you might not strictly need but will probably enhance your fun:
- Water Toys – We’re guessing you were drawn to Lake Keowee SC real estate because you wanted to get out on the lake. They don’t call them lake houses for nothing. Well, there are plenty of little gadgets and floaties that can make your lake day as fun as possible. You can get floating coolers, floating tables, floating mats — pretty much anything you need to have a good time in the water, you can find.
- Extra Seating – There will probably be some kind of outdoor seating at your lake house, but depending on how big your party is, it might not be enough. It’s a good idea to pack some outdoor folding chairs so that everybody can gather around and nobody has to sit on the ground.
- Fun and Games – The natural beauty of your surroundings on Lake Keowee will only keep you entertained for so long. This one will definitely depend a lot on what you and your family enjoy doing for fun, but whatever those favorite pastimes are, bringing some along will definitely serve you well. A good book, a favorite board game or two, or any water activities are good choices. You can usually rent things like kayaks and canoes, so you don’t need to worry about bringing those along if you don’t have the space.
Items to Leave at Home
Of course, our above list is not exhaustive. Those are all things that would be good to bring, but you’ll have specific needs not met by everything on that list. So, clearly, it’s not that anything not on there should get left behind. That’s why we’ve also put together a list of things that we don’t think belong at your Lake Keowee SC real estate.
- Electronics – Obviously it’s difficult to go completely off the grid in this day and age. And you probably don’t want to — there might be important messages you need your phone to receive. We get it. However, think critically about which electronics you really need at your vacation and which ones would just be distractions. Do you really need your laptop and tablet? How many movies do you really want to watch? How do you really want to spend your time out at the lake — behind a screen or out in nature?
- Formal Wear – Maybe this one is obvious, but we think it deserves a spot on the list all the same. If you’re planning a meal at a fancy restaurant for one night of your trip, then you’ll need something to wear, sure. But it’s going to be a lot more economical to dress up one of your more casual outfits with a jacket and some nice shoes than to pack a whole formal outfit.
- Things the Lake House Already Has – Again, obvious. But this one hinges on you knowing what the lake house has and doesn’t have on hand. You’ll need to do your research and reach out to ask questions if you’re renting. You’ll waste a lot of your precious packing space if you decide to just throw everything you could possibly need in the car without checking what you actually need first.
Plan for Success
Now that we’ve walked you through everything you need to plan for this summer in Lake Keowee SC real estate, you should be plenty prepped to have a good time. You’ve thought about whether you’re looking at Lake Keowee houses for sale or a rental, and you’ve thought through all the details that go with either option. You’ve considered the kind of upkeep your Lake Keowee SC real estate will need if you haven’t been there in a while, and you’re prepared to get the property in tip-top shape by Memorial Day. Finally, you’ve thought about what to bring with you and what to leave at home, and you’re completely ready to get your bags packed up when the time comes. Maybe you’ve even put buying some new water toys on your to-do list.
Also keep the purpose of your trip in mind when you’re planning and packing. If, for example, you’re planning a trip to scout Lake Keowee houses for sale, you’re going to need a lot different items than if you were planning a strictly relaxing vacation. Lake Keowee is an interesting and beautiful place with plenty to do, so give some thought to what you’re trying to get out of your trip.
Of course, we couldn’t cover every conceivable lake house need. Definitely round out your planning by doing some serious thinking about your specific needs. Asking yourself how you can accommodate the needs and desires unique to you and whoever you’re going to the lake with will be a great jumping off point for any further research and prep work you might want to do.
We hope we’ve given you all the information you need to get you off to a great start this summer. Enjoy the lake!