Lake Keowee Real Estate Area Hospitals –
AnMed Health got its start in 1904 when Mrs. Jennie Gilmer, a young wife and mother, made a promise to God that that if she survived the birth of her second son, she would see that a hospital was built in Anderson. Mrs. Gilmer survived, and largely due to her efforts, the Anderson County Hospital Association, a group that would oversee the construction and operation of a new hospital, was organized and incorporated in 1906. Mrs. Gilmer and other members of the Association led a spirited effort to raise the $25,000 needed to construct the original two-story, 25-bed hospital building. Anderson County Hospital, as it was first called, officially opened on April 20, 1908.
AnMed Health has been through a number of renovations and milestones during the past 100 years. The timeline below follows our journey from Anderson County Hospital to AnMed Health. A coffee table book of AnMed Health’s history, “A Century of Healing,” is available at Something Special and Something Special Too, our hospital gift shops.