The Company Store
The Company Store in Great Falls, South Carolina, officially known as the Republic Cotton Mills Company Store, is a historic two-story brick building located at 651 Dearborn Street. Constructed in 1910 at a cost of $8,000, it was the first commercial building in Great Falls, established to serve the employees of the Republic Cotton Mills.
The Company Store was a central hub for the mill community, offering a variety of goods and services:
- Retail Departments: The ground floor housed departments for groceries, dry goods, millinery, pharmaceuticals, and even coffins.
- Community Services: The upper floor initially served as the town’s first public school until 1916, after which it became the Masonic lodge hall.
- Later Tenants: In 1921, the lower level became the McFadden Mercantile Company. By 1939, Belk Department Stores took over half of the building, while the other half operated as a pool room. The store remained in operation until 1982, when the Belk store closed.
The building is a two-story brick structure, characteristic of early 20th-century commercial architecture. Notably, during its tenure as a Belk store, Permastone was applied to the front lower level, leaving the historic storefront material intact underneath.
As of recent reports, the Town of Great Falls is undertaking efforts to revitalize the area, including plans to transform the former company store into a Visitor’s Center. This initiative is part of a broader strategy to stimulate the local economy and preserve the town’s historical assets.
