President’s House at Wofford College
The President’s House at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina, has served as the residence for the college’s presidents since its construction in 1911. Located just steps from Main Building, between the Kilgo-Clinkscales House and DuPré House, it has been home to seven Wofford first families.
In 1911, Professor Coleman B. Waller, a Wofford alumnus and chemistry professor, built the house on campus. He financed part of the construction with an agreement that allowed the college to repay him and assume control of the house at its discretion. The Wallers lived in the home until 1942, when President Henry Nelson Snyder retired. Dr. Walter K. Greene, a Wofford alumnus, became the first president to reside in the house.
Over the years, the President’s House has undergone several renovations to modernize its facilities while preserving its historic charm. In the early 2000s, major updates included enlarging the front porch, adding central heating and air conditioning, and updating upstairs windows to match neighboring houses. The kitchen was also modernized to accommodate both daily use and entertaining. Funding for these renovations came from longtime Wofford supporters Paula Black Baker and Marianna Black Habisreutinger, in memory of their mother Anna Maybry Black, as well as Trustee Roger Milliken. Kindel Furniture Company contributed many of the furnishings in the downstairs area.
Today, the President’s House continues to serve as the residence for the college’s president and their family. President Nayef Samhat and his family currently reside there, known for welcoming faculty, staff, and students into their home throughout the year. The house remains a central and inviting space on campus, reflecting Wofford’s commitment to tradition and community.
