Chiquola Condominiums (Hotel previously in 1888)
The Chiquola Condominiums occupy the rehabilitated structure of the former Hotel Chiquola, an 1888 three-story masonry commercial building that historically served as one of the city’s principal downtown hostelries. Constructed during a period of significant commercial expansion, the building is representative of late-nineteenth-century urban architecture in small but economically ascending Southern towns. Its design incorporates restrained Victorian commercial detailing, executed with locally available materials and adapted to the evolving commercial grid.
The building is rectangular in plan and constructed of load-bearing brick masonry laid primarily in common bond. The principal façade is organized into a regular vertical rhythm of bays defined by brick pilasters, corbelled brick detailing, and segmental-arched window openings. The first story originally featured an arcaded storefront arrangement with large plate-glass display windows set beneath transoms; these were configured to serve the hotel’s lobby, commercial tenants, and associated public spaces. Although rehabilitated in the modern era, several original cast-iron structural supports and inset thresholds remain visible and incorporated into the updated façade.
The upper stories contain the most intact historic features. Windows are set within segmental or round-arched brick openings, many retaining original brick hoodmolds and projected sill courses. Historically, fenestration consisted of double-hung sash units—typically two-over-two or one-over-one—though many have been sensitively replaced with compatible contemporary units during the condominium conversion. The pressed-metal cornice, a defining late nineteenth-century element, extends across the roofline and features brackets, dentils, and paneled friezes, most of which were restored or reconstructed using historic photographic evidence.
The interior historically followed a double-loaded corridor plan typical of late Victorian hotels, with guest rooms arranged along elongated hallways and service spaces located to the rear. Portions of this configuration remain legible despite extensive conversion to residential units. Surviving interior features include sections of heart-pine flooring, plaster walls, heavy wooden doors with transoms, and remnants of decorative millwork such as baseboards, picture rails, and stair balustrades. The primary stair, located near the central entrance, retains its heavy newel posts and turned balusters, though reinforced to meet modern code standards.
The rehabilitation into condominiums involved structural reinforcement of the masonry shell, introduction of modern mechanical systems, and reconfiguration of interior spaces. These alterations were executed with an emphasis on retaining original circulation patterns, preserving load-bearing walls, and maintaining the building’s historic spatial hierarchy. The rooftop level, originally concealed behind a parapet, now contains mechanical installations set back from the façade to minimize visual intrusion.
The rear elevation shows evidence of functional additions and service modifications added during the hotel’s operational years, including infilled openings, service doorways, and masonry scars indicating former balconies or stair landings. Although simplified during rehabilitation, these elements contribute to the building’s construction chronology and are preserved where feasible.
